Siteground’s state of the art security, great speed, automated backups and responsive support allow you to host your website with peace of mind. The company provides high quality web hosting services with prices starting from 47.4 dollars per year.
In this brief tutorial, I’ll walk you through the process of creating a Siteground hosting account and setting up your own professional website or self-hosted blog in 30 minutes or less. You don’t need any technical expertise; you only need to follow this simple tutorial as I show you the process, one click at a time.
Disclosure: I am a Siteground affiliate, which means the company pays me a commission every time someone signs up through one of my links. But this is not why I am recommending Siteground – all hosting services have similar programs. I recommend Siteground because I honestly believe they offer tremendous value at reasonable costs.
Now here’s the step-by-step process:
Your hosting account is where your website “resides” online. Click the Siteground link to get started. You’ll be taken to a page where you can choose from three hosting plans:
1. StartUp: This is suitable for beginners. It comes at a discounted price of N14,931 ($47.40) for the first year.
2. GrowBig: If you see your website growing very fast, go for this plan. It is also the ideal plan for you if you plan to have multiple websites on one hosting account. It goes for the price is N30,051 ($95.40) for the first year.
3. GoGeek: This is ideal for really heavily-visited or resource-intensive websites. It has more powerful features and the price is N56,511 ($179.40) for the first year.
Determine your desired plan and click “Get Started”.
On the next page, choose “Register a new domain” and enter your desired domain name. If you want to use a domain name that you already own, choose “I already have a domain”. Click “Proceed”.
If your preferred domain name is available, the next page loads. Otherwise, you’ll be prompted to choose another domain name.
On the next page, fill in your personal details and credit card details. To avoid any hitch, ensure that you put in the correct details. Also ensure that your email address is correct because you’ll receive vital information through it. If you’re ordering from Nigeria, you can get your ZIP code from the postcode finder at nipost.gov.ng or simply use 110001.
I would uncheck additional services such as “Domain privacy,” “Premium Support” and “HackAlert Monitoring” but you may choose them if you so desire. If you don’t uncheck them, you’ll be charged for them.
Click “Pay Now”.
The next page will confirm the success of your order. Congratulations! You have now set up your hosting account and domain name.
Check your email for an Order Confirmation mail. Click “Login to Customer Area” to install WordPress and start building your website.
#2. Install WordPress on your domain name
Clicking “Proceed to Customer Area” in the preceding step will take you to the Website Setup Wizard. Choose “Get WordPress preinstalled on this account”. Click proceed and follow the on-screen instructions. Siteground will install WordPress for you and send access details to your email address.
#3: Login to your WordPress site and publish your first post
- Go to “http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin” (replace “yourdomain” with your domain name). Login with the username and password you chose when you installed WordPress in step #2 above.
- The next page displays the dashboard, which is the “back side” of your website from where you set everything that appears on the “front side”. On the left side of your dashboard screen are menus. Position the mouse on “Posts” and click “Add New” from the sub-menus that will pop out.
- On the next page, enter the title of your post and write your first post in the field directly below the title. Click “Publish”.
- On the next page, click “View post” to see the post you just published on the front end of your website or self hosted blog as it will appear to your visitors.
Hurray! You can now start sharing links to your site with your family and friends in less than 30 minutes.
If you encounter any challenge while following the above steps, you can call me on +2347060905134 or contact me on Twitter and I’ll be delighted to help you at no cost.
This is an opportunity you can’t afford to miss
The best time to launch your website was probably six years ago. The next best time is now. The price in this tutorial is a Siteground promo for my readers with 60% discount. The cost may go up at anytime. You have today. So go to Siteground now if this looks like something you might need. If you don’t need this information yourself, you probably know someone who does. Please feel free to pass along the link to this tutorial.