We began looking at a teaching titled accessing the realms of new dawn and we saw first of all the force of faith. This morning we’ll see the force of love. Let’s begin by reminding ourselves that our entrenchment in Christ has brought us to a new dawn family. (2Corinthians 5:17, Isaiah 42:9). You and I are ordained by redemption to manifest things that have never been seen, heard or conceived before. (1Corinthians 2:9). There is something that God has deposited inside you that the whole world is waiting to see. (Romans 8:19) We are in the world to give light and colour to the world. We are not created to be under. We are ordained to be over. (Matthew 5:15-16)
New chapters are ordained to continue to open. (Proverbs 4:18) We are never ordained to have a better yesterday. Every day is to be brighter than the past. That will be your reality in the name of Jesus. In order for that to be a reality, the force of love is not negotiable. It is the lovers of God that end up as surprise, wonder and exhibitors of the new dawn to their world. (1Corinthians 2:9)
What does it mean to love God?
1. To have a heart that is burning with passion after God and the affairs of His kingdom. (Matthew 6:33) It is not just seeking God or pursuing after His kingdom but having a passion for it. (Romans 12:11) It’s serving God with enthusiasm, passion and zeal. Everyone that will go far with God must serve him zealously and enthusiastically. A casual approach doesn’t make much with God. (Galatians 4:18) It is talking about doing it zealously whether people are watching or not. Don’t be an eye service steward. Be one who serves God with excitement and passion in the secret and in the open.A casual approach doesn't make much with God. Serve Him zealously and enthusiastically. -@DavidOyedepoMin Click To Tweet
2. To live a life committed to keeping His commandments. (1John 5:3) When you live in such a way that whatever God commands is the direction of your life, that is the love of God in motion. (John 14:21) Let’s follow the example of Jesus (Hebrews 12:2, John 5:30). Jesus was saying in essence, “I am not doing my own thing. I am not just running as a misdirected wind.” (John 8:29) A man who loves God genuinely will exhibit it in his pursuit of divine commandments.
3. To live a kingdom priority lifestyle. Seek ye first the kingdom of God. (Matthew 6:33). Seek God first, don’t give Him second place. Make Him and His kingdom the priority in all affairs of life. God can never be second. Anyone that will go far with God must have God as first. He is called the Most High. That means He must be the highest priority.
Characteristics of a lover of God
1. If you love God you will love His word. (1Samuel 13:14, Psalm 119:97-100). Every genuine lover of God is a lover of His word. In David we see a man whose life was continually enraptured in passion for God’s word. (Psalm 119:162). There must be a rich deposit of God’s word in you. (Colossians 3:16). That’s the evidence of the love for God. If you have no passion for God’s word it is a pointer to the fact that there is no love of God in your heart. People who love God delight in His word. (Psalm 112:1, Psalm 1:2-3)
2. If you love God you will love His house. (Psalm 122:1) The house of the one you love is never burdensome to you. Love always draws you back to the house. If the one you love is God and His church is His house then every true lover of God will never be missing in church. Who you love determines where you go. That’s why you see that lovers of God are misunderstood by the world and by carnal Christians. They ask questions like, Why is he always going to church? Can’t he pray at home? No, you can make phone calls to the person you love but seeing them is better. When you pray at home it’s like making phone call to God. When you come to church you are coming to encounter God. I see a fresh passion for the house of God coming upon you.
3. If you love God you will love the saints. (1John 3:16) You will love the saints and enjoy their company. You can’t truly love God and not love the company of the saints. (Psalm 1:1-3) Who are the people you associate with? A lover of God is a lover of the saints. (1Corinthians 15:33) Fellowship with the people of God. The destroyer of Solomon was his company. You cannot say you love God that you don’t see if you don’t love your brother that you can see.You can't truly love God and not love the company of the saints. -@DavidOyedepoMin #ANewDawn Click To Tweet
4. You will love the lost. By this we are talking about compassion for the lost. When you see a sinner what goes through your heart? You have a colleague that you see every day and nothing moves you even though he is unsaved. You cannot say you love God if you are ashamed to present God. If you love God you will announce Him everywhere. God demonstrated His love for us in John 3:16. We must also demonstrate our love. When people begin to see you advertising Jesus publicly and men are saying it is enough that is when God says you’re just getting started. It must get to the point where everybody is aware that you are a lover of Christ.
5. You will cheerfully give. (2Corinthians 8:8, 1Chronicles 29:3) Genuine love is a giving love. It is a love that gives cheerfully. Every time you see genuine lovers they will be cheerful givers.
Why is the love of God important?
1. It is the key to fulfilling God’s commandments. (1John 5:3, Romans 13:10). When you love God He sets you on high (Deuteronomy 28:1)
2. The love of God fills us with divine nature thereby establishing our dominion. (Ephesians 3:17-20) Every time you see a lover of God they are loaded with God and being loaded with God is what makes you triumphant in life. (1John 4:16-17) When you find the lover of God you find someone demonstrating the dominion of God. Just like you have a fuel gauge in a car the love of God can be used as the ‘God gauge’ in your life. If you have half tank it means you are only filled halfway with God. Things can still try to confront you. The higher your love for God the fuller your tank with God. And when you find someone with a full tank that individual practically demonstrates divinity in humanity. He’s walking the earth like a man but he’s dominating like God. (Acts 14:11) Such individual does not need explanation. His manifestation is enough explanation for all to see. (Acts 4:13)
The apostles were not trying to explain their association; their association was manifesting itself. When Peter entered Cornelius’ house, Cornelius was going to worship him but Peter forbade him saying “I am human like you”. Many believers today are trying to explain their divinity but lovers of God are trying to explain their humanity because people see too much of God inside of them. I see that becoming your own experience.
3. The love of God causes all things to line up for you. (Romans 8:28) A lover of does not only work; things work for him.
How do you develop yourself in the love of God?
1. Make a choice to love God. Loving God starts with a decision. Love is a choice not a gift. You make a choice to love God. (Joshua 24:15) You cannot serve two masters. (Matthew 6:24) You say to God, ” I am choosing to love You.”
2. Ask for the baptism of the spirit of love. (2Timothy 1:7) You start with a choice then call for empowerment. God cannot empower what you have not decided. You must desperately desire the baptism of the spirit of love. (Luke 11:13) There must be a sense of desperation. Everything about the release of the spirit answers to desperation.
(Isaiah 44:3, Isaiah 41:17-18) When you’re desperate the outpouring comes your way. One thing God never rejects is a desperate plea. That desperate desire will release the virtue in your direction.
3. Enter into a covenant to seek, serve and love God. (2Chronicles 15:12-15) We were told the word should enter us, we should also enter into it. You can’t miss God when you truly seek Him to enter a covenant. They went by covenant and they secured His attention. I see a fresh enduement of the spirit of God like never before. Receive it in Jesus’ name.
Everything about the release of the spirit answers to desperation. (Isaiah 44:3, Isaiah 41:17-18). -@DavidOyedepoMin #ANewDawn Click To Tweet
Life takes on a whole new meaning when you become a member of God’s family through faith in Jesus Christ. If you have not yet accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, or if you want to rededicate your life to Him, please pray this prayer with the whole of your heart: “Lord Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. Please forgive my sins and give me the gift of eternal life. I ask you in to my life and heart to be my Lord and Saviour. I want to serve you always.”
PS: For further guidance on what it means to follow Christ, connect with us at Living Faith Church or join a community of Christ followers near you. You can also visit GodLife.com to get useful resources and connect with someone to guide you and pray with you.