Introductory Note: This Parchment post is a summary of my notes from a message preached by Pastor Favour Abodunrin at Living Faith Church, Felele, Ibadan on Sunday, October 15, 2017.
On this third Sunday of October which has also been prophetically declared as our covenant day of fruitfulness, we’ll continue our series of discussions on our theme for the month, Empowered by the Spirit to Fulfil Destiny. The Holy Spirit operates in diverse dimensions (1Corinthians 12:6). One of the ways He operates is through guidance or leading. He is the Spirit of guidance (John 16:13). We have learnt about the Holy Spirit as the Spirit of meekness and the Spirit of the fear of the Lord. Today we’ll learn about Him as the Spirit of guidance.
What is divine guidance? It is having a knowledge of where you are going and how to get there. One of the greatest tragedies in life is to lack the knowledge of where you are going and how to get there. In every area of life you need divine guidance. As many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God (Romans 8:14). The ones that are not yet led by the Holy Spirit have not yet grown into sonship. Your proof of being a son of God is being led by the Spirit of God. No one can outgrow divine guidance. You will need it for life.
Why do you need divine guidance?
1. You may have an idea about the future; only God knows the future with precision (Isaiah 46:9-10, Proverbs 3:5).
2. You need divine guidance to avoid overstaying at a phase (Micah 2:10, Deuteronomy 2:2-3). When you have stayed long in one position you need to ask God, “What are you saying next? What is the next agenda that you have for my life?”You need divine guidance to fulfil destiny. One wrong step can wreck a whole destiny. Click To Tweet
There are things that will never be settled by prayer but by divine guidance. You need divine guidance to fulfil destiny. No man can fulfil destiny without having access to divine guidance. One wrong step can wreck a whole destiny.
Covenant Day of Fruitfulness
Today is our covenant day of fruitfulness in which every yoke of barrenness shall be broken. We’ll deal with five major forms of barreness:
1. Spiritual barrenness. This is spiritual emptiness or spiritual dryness. It’s when your life is not bearing fruit spiritually. One of the signs of spiritual barrenness is when you don’t understand spiritual realities (speaking in tongues for example) and you even say, “I don’t believe in them.” Yet you are a born-again Christian. That’s spiritual barrenness. And it is the mother of all barrenness.
2. Physical barrenness. This kind of barrenness affects the fruit of the womb. It’s lack of child bearing.
3. Financial barrenness. Some people are so barren financially that they are neck deep in financial problems. Some don’t even have bank accounts not to talk of having money in the bank.
4. Career and business barrenness. Your business and career should be fruitful and productive. You should be making progress. When the reverse is the case that is a form of barrenness.
5. Mental barrenness. This has to do with your mental capacity. It could reflect in areas like your academic performance or your capacity to retain knowledge/information and the ability to use same productively.
How do you program yourself out of barrenness?
God has declared that you should be fruitful (Genesis 1:28). So if you’re not fruitful, the problem is not about persuading God as it were; it’s about taking a violent stand against the devil so that you can take what belongs to you (Matthew 11:12). You need to take responsibility by rising up to contend with the adversary so that you can wrest your God-given inheritance from him (Deuteronomy 2:24).You can program yourself out of any problem by getting knowledge in that area. Hos. 4:6, Isa. 5:13 Click To Tweet
One important key in this regard is the key of knowledge. God’s word makes us understand that people are led into captivity for lack of knowledge (Isaiah 5:13, Hosea 4:6). You can program yourself out of any form of barrenness by getting knowledge in that area. Find out what God’s word says about it and stay with that word until it becomes life to you. Read books that can open your understanding.
Breaking free from financial barrenness starts from your mentality. As a man thinks in his heart so is he (Proverbs 23:7). Are you focused on survival blessings or transgenerational blessing? Your brother came to your house and spent only three days, you’re already lamenting at how he’s eating. That’s a wrong mentality; you can’t be rich that way. Abraham had 318 men eating in his house.
Deal with the mentality of ‘I don’t have.’ If you keep saying that you don’t have you will remain a pauper for life. You always have something to give. Start from your level. You must cultivate a giving lifestyle. There is no shortcut (Luke 6:38).
To break free from physical barrenness you must know that your heavenly Father is a baby maker, you are not permitted to be a baby beggar (Psalm 100:3, Jeremiah 1:4-5). Do you realise that nobody ever came to Jesus for children all through his earthly ministry? The way he was given birth to defies the laws of child bearing. He sent the demons of barrenness and childlessness packing. You are not permitted to remain barren. It’s against the covenant. Even your animals must not be barren.
You shall be blessed above all people: there shall not be male or female barren among you, or among your cattle. (Deuteronomy 7:14)
Can I pray with you?
Everything changes when you become a member of God’s family through faith in Jesus Christ. If you have not yet accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, or if you want to rededicate your life to Him, please pray this prayer with the whole of your heart: “Lord Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. Please forgive my sins and give me the gift of eternal life. I ask you in to my life and heart to be my Lord and Saviour. I want to serve you always.”
PS: For further guidance on what it means to follow Christ, connect with us at Living Faith Church or join a community of Christ followers near you. You can also visit GodLife.com to get useful resources and connect with someone to guide you and pray with you.